Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I didn't sleep at all last night....

No one in this household did.  Today the college kids were allowed to move back into the dorms.  Consequently, my daughter was up just about all night.  Transition. Transitioning into change.  She was up and down the stairs countless times.  She had tea or coffee because I could hear the Keurig going.  Lights were on downstairs and up, leaking into our bedroom under the doorjamb.  My poor husband had to get up at five a.m. to go to work. As if having a grown step-daughter with autism wasn't enough, just as he was drifting off (I could tell by the rhythm of his breathing) the damned deaf ancient cat came into the room, jumped on the bed and proceeded to start heaving. (Woka, woka, woka) Since I was WIDE awake I was able to get him onto the floor before he tossed his cookies in the bed.

"I didn't sleep last night!"
"Yes, we know, we didn't either. We could hear you."

Any response? Nope. Time and time again she has been told that this keeps us up and she either just doesn't get it (possible) or just doesn't care (also possible) or both.  I am always afraid of instigating a huge shouting match so I let a lot go. I let this go.  At least we will sleep tonight.

It was cold and rainy here today and because of my recent surgery, other than driving her to campus, I was totally useless as far as helping her move all her stuff back in.  Others were there, some with parents, some with friends. I admit it makes me sad to see them because I envy them and I was secretly relieved that I could not help and she did not complain. She also did not attempt to hug goodbye. Nor did I.  I don't force those moments anymore as I used to when she was younger.  She is no child anymore and it is just too awkward. Just a blank eyed stare was all I got. Perhaps that is why, all the way home, I could feel myself fighting back tears as I rode through the gloomy raindrops, feeling cheated somehow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment