Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 25, 2021

The long way home

Funny how random things can spark your memory.  Things long forgotten, maybe not important but....memorable.

Why in the world did I remember this?  Was it people on Facebook posting about concerts? (Things I could rarely afford)  Was it others just popping up songs from "my" era?  

Anyway...way back when I was a struggling working "goil" in New York City...a medical secretary, something I was hoping to educate myself out of, but that didn't happen....I took a walk on a beautiful autumn afternoon.  I had nothing else to do.  Just a walk, to enjoy the "window shopping" and the sunshine and crisp autumn air.

I walked all the way from 93rd Street down to Rockefeller Center, which was not a feat for me back in those days.  I'm talking about the late 70s.

Something was going on.....I saw a sign, I saw them setting up....Rupert Holmes.  Rupert Holmes!!!!  He was going to sing in the Center....in front of "Mercury"...where the ice rink is set up every winter.  I was aware of him, I was sort of a fan, I guess....I had an album.  

So, I decided...damn it!...I am going to DO this!!!  I sat down in the cafe right by the stage...as near as one could get....I got handed a "menu".....and the least expensive thing I could get was single glass of wine.  Even that was a stretch for me at the time...six dollars!!!!  My guess is that would translate to about 18 nowadays.  For a single glass of wine.  Fuck it.  I did it.  I asked first if it was alright that that was all I ordered.  Since it was the middle of the day and there was virtually no one else there...they let me get away with it.  (And yes, six dollars, for me, at that time, was a serious amount of money to blow).

In retrospect, I think that was my very first "concert."  I nursed the wine as long as I possibly could.  It was a long time ago and no one rushed me, no one was rude.  Kind of amazing.  I got to listen to someone I knew from the radio and records...in person!  Right there!!!  I was thrilled.

I was a little nervous about "blowing away" the money.....but, really....the experience and the memory were worth it.  

And the funny thing is, it is mine alone.  I was completely by myself the entire time, the entire day, other than for my cats waiting for me at home.  Sometimes I lament that people with whom I shared cherished memories are gone, either from death or circumstance.  Ultimately, I realize you don't  need someone else to value your favorite recollections. They are all yours, always,


Rupert Holmes - Long Way Home - YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment