Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 28, 2024

Welcome to...my little corner of the world

 Five and half years ago we retired to Italy.  Why?  Well...for the adventure, for sure, but also because of clean air, clean water and unprocessed foods.  And, for me (and even more important) guns...or the lack thereof. 

The last time we went to a movie theater, in New Jersey, was one Christmas and we were with my daughter.  It was a "Star Wars" film.  I never cared too much for "Star Wars" (I was a "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" type of person) but it was the holidays and so-called blockbusters were all they offered.  The film, in my opinion, sucked.  What didn't help at all was that from the moment we arrived until we got home, I was a quiet wreck.  I didn't let on, I said nothing, but I was terrified.  Popcorn, big Coke and fancy, plush recliner seats and all, I was very nervous.  The only thing I could think about was if we had any chance of escape if someone should decide this was the place and time to use an assault weapon.

So, anyway, here we are, in the middle of Nowhere, Italy.  My daughter has visited several times.  The first time it was all about this town, which, at that point, was considerably livelier than it is now. (Covid took a toll here and we lost several restaurants and I don't know how many people).  Subsequent visits found her here for a bit and then in Rome and then up to Germany to see people she knew.  It's a VERY quiet little town.

So, imagine my surprise to have someone come here...just to see us!!  And even more surprising...she is a Facebook friend whom I have never met face to face.

They are on a whirlwind and globe spanning trip of a lifetime as circumstances occurred for them to just say....let's do it!!


That's us having some prosecco (I'm on the left).  We "met" online when Bernie Sanders ran for President the first time, so it's been quite a while.   The weather has not been cooperating, though, and it was a bit rainy and chilly, as it has been for several weeks.  Climate change is making itself known even here.  

It was amazing to sit down with someone and talk easily while still realizing that we had never, ever met in person before.  She is the ONLY virtual friend I have that I have ever met in person, so I felt very honored, especially since this is not the most popular place to visit, for sure.  There are a lot of British people, although more and more Americans seem to be trickling in.  Most people tend to flock to Pescara, the local beach resort, filled with hotels, bar and restaurants and...beach. 

We had lasagne and meatballs and then walked down to Con Amore for gelato.  "We haven't had gelato yet."  WHAT????  We all had a cup.  Mine was fondente (dark chocolate) and hazelnut.  Her husband, seeing the fondente, went back for seconds!!  I guess he liked it *snorfle. 

I know my New York-ness came out several times, but no one seemed to mind too much,

This is my thank you to her for going through the trouble of finding this tiny hamlet and giving me the opportunity to meet a kindred spirit.  Grazie mille!!!  Kind of amazing, in a good way for once, what technology can do.                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment