Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Felice di stare la su...

Italy is in quarantine.

I thought I should give you an idea of what this means, keeping in mind that because I am older...a retiree, pensioner...many of the "restrictions" do not affect me, and for this, I am grateful.

I have lived through a blackout that affected the entire East Coast of the US.  I have lived through Super Storm Sandy, when my town had no power (no light, no heat, no hot water) for nearly two weeks. We drove to another town to get ripped off for $150 to take stinking showers in a hotel.  So let me begin by saying how lucky I know we are to have all the amenities of a comfortable home.

First of all..no travel, none in and none out. 

All public and private gatherings are cancelled.  That means...no funerals, weddings, celebrations....restaurants and cafes are to be closed by 6pm.  If a cafĂ© or restaurant is open, they are to make sure that people can keep a distance of at LEAST one meter apart.  No crowds.

The regular public markets (street markets, vegetable markets) are closed.

All schools, at all levels, are closed, from childhood to Ph.D.

No concerts, sports events, museums, galleries, exhibitions.  None.

No public parks, recreation centers, pools, gyms are to be open.

Cemetaries and religious events are cancelled.

Mortgage payments and utility payments are suspended.

If you can, try to work from home via computer.

Supermarkets and pharmacies - doctor's offices and the medical center - are open.

There is a new Central Number to call if you are in any way disabled, at risk or unable to obtain your own supplies....people will come to assist you to get food and medicine.

If you are healthy and need supplies, or need to walk a dog,  please limit your time outside and wear a mask.  

STAY AT HOME

I know that the cases in our town doubled overnight.  I know that our Saturday market ( it is now Wednesday) is cancelled.

I have no idea how long this will last....I am grateful that we have lights, heat, music, television, hot water, books...internet...and a lovely balcony to breathe in fresh, clean air.  And a lot of wonderful food that I love to prepare.

All that being said...I worry that the US in unprepared...people are not taking heed....PLEASE get an N95 or 99 mask, isopropyl alcohol....and stay home as much as possible.  Wipe down doorknobs if you've been out, or live in a place where multiple people use one doorknob/handle.  Stock up on food.  Wash your hands!  Sanitizer is NOT a substitute, just a bandaid for when you are out and cannot wash...do NOT rely on that to protect you.

That's all I can tell you from my perspective...I'm sure some kids are happy to be home and others are antsy...young adults must be going mad......I'm ok....but I really would like this monster to end.  

Please take heed...this thing has a higher than usual mortality rate.  That is the reason for concern.


Buona fortuna e buonaserata.





No comments:

Post a Comment