Total Pageviews

Friday, November 11, 2022

The road gets rougher...

 I saw the rheumatologist.  It was a bit strange.  The office was on the main drag in Pescara, but when we got up there, it was open but dark.   I ventured further in, opened a door and interrupted a man speaking with the doctor.  I apologized profusely and at least informed my husband we were in the right place.  We switched on a light.

In a few minutes, the man left and the doctor called us in.  There was a big table and he was at one end behind a partition (for Covid).  I explained the situation.  He got up at one point and looked at my hands.  (See?  I'm not kidding!)  

He started me on Plaquenil (a drug I took ages ago) accompanied by some Neurontin.  What he did was write a note, not prescriptions.  He wrote a note to my GP in Penne.  I thought that was somewhat strange, but...what do I know?  Maybe that's how it works here.  Then we paid him and left.  I had some hope of feeling better, at least arthritis wise.

HOWEVER, I had been having some quite severe stomach cramping and pain for a while.  I had to wonder if my old umbilical hernia was rearing its ugly head again.  I was hurting pretty badly and afraid to eat and I convinced my husband I needed to get to the Pescara emergency area.  We called a cab.

I was examined immediately, put on a gurney and wheeled to a large room, like a "holding area" where there were about 10 other people in various states of not-feeling-well on gurneys as well.  

Eventually I was sent for a scan.  And then back to the holding room. I told my husband to leave as I had absolutely nothing with me...no pj's, no toothpaste, no brush...nothing.  He got home rather quickly and somehow it ended up that our friend (and insurance agent...who is also vice-mayor of Penne) would come with a bag of supplies for me, since he and his family actually live in Pescara.

I don't know.  It seemed like forever.  Staring at walls.  Watching other people get fed.  Staring at walls again.  Pain, pain, PAIN!  

Then I saw our friend. !!!!  He had a bag with pajamas and everything else for me.  We talked a little, but it was difficult for me.  The pain...the uncertainty....I was crying.   So, he somehow managed to speak to the doctor on call and within five minutes I was taken into the "exam" room with the doctor and a nurse.  My friend was there, too.  I was examined.  The two of them talked.  Next thing, I'm getting an IV and pain killers.  YAY!!!  With that, he left and I was taken up to the surgical wing.

The doctor there explained to me that I would be under observation.  The problem was scar tissue and operating on scar tissue creates more scar tissue.  So...they would "watch."

I was helped into pajamas, given a bed and was finally able to sleep.


The next day, I was taken to a different room that was occupied by one other woman.  She was very nice...and busy a lot calling her  husband, her daughters, her son, her young grandkids.  

After a couple of days, I was back on mashed potatoes.  I was also receiving antibiotics.  Mashed potatoes became a piece of chicken and mashed potatoes, or a small hamburger and mashed potatoes.  Finally, a burger, carrots and mashed potatoes.  And a roll.  I felt fine and after a week they sent me home.

I was fine at home, too, until the meds wore off.  So I found myself making mashed potatoes quite a bit.  

So, I know what it is and if I am lucky, the pain will dissipate with time.  It seems to be happening, but very, very slowly.  I can eat pasta, a piece of toast, ground turkey or chicken.  Sometimes I have horrible pain, other times I am ok.  Ice cream...gelato, sits well, too.

I have completely maxxed out on hospitals.  The Plaquenil is helping.

1 comment:

  1. Ah. This hospital stay was shorter and must have been a month or two ago? I am sad you had to endure so much pain before your vice mayor intervened on your behalf.

    ReplyDelete